- 1. Professional photography. is a must. Most anyone can take a photo of a person or thing against a Second Life sim background. We want to see some effort. Photo Shop editing, unusual windlight settings, shading, shadows, use of advanced photography tools, etc.
- 2. No repetitive photo's or content. The same model, same background just different poses or angles page after page loses our interest fast. Same with text such as stories, articles and interviews. We do not want to read a novel. We like informative content that has been summarized by highlighting major points of interest.
- 3. No Incomplete information: If an article is featuring a fashion designer, product or destination, We want to know how long have they been established. Where can the product or service be found, who to contact and is it offered in-world as well as Marketplace and price ranges.
- 4. Consistency: Monthly issues should be available each month without fail. Content and format should always be consistent.
- 5. Advertisement Overload: We understand that ad's are the only revenue for most magazines but no one enjoys looking at more ad's then content.
- 6. Self Promotion: An introduction page or a note from the editor or owner is important to let the reader know about you, your vision and direction of your magazine. But we don't need 10 pages of your opinions or your photo in every article.
- 7. Professional Graphics. We are looking for original and creative page design.
- 8. Dated Content: We are looking for current news and events, new products and destinations. We don't want to read an article about something that been written about in dozens of publications already. Date your publication! Volume 12 does not tell us if it was published in 2006 or in 2015.
Monday, September 5, 2016
In Search of the Best Magazines In Second Life - ISL Media Awards
The judges for the 2016 Innovative Second Life Media Awards have been working hard to look through every publication in Second Life. As professional writers, photographers, editors and publishers in real life, we are all tough critics. As much as we appreciate the efforts of anyone undertaking the task of publishing a monthly magazine, we have been underwhelmed by many. We have seen some mediocre photography, poor editing, badly written articles, inconsistency and amateur graphic designs. We have also seen amazing talent. There are more adult magazines, then any other in SL. We are looking for classy adult magazines with creative photography and interesting and informative content. We have chose not to include magazine's containing hard pornography, Porn movie stills or content strictly covering the porn industry as they have a large community that conducts their own appropriate awards. A close second are the fashion magazines. We are looking for fashion magazines that cover current trends from popular designers, short descriptions of the pictured outfits with designer and store information and beautiful photography that shows off the outfit. We are not including store or designer magazines that focus on their own products. After careful deliberation, we have posted the nominees for this years awards in a previous post. We compiled a list of requirements that we are judging.
**ISL's Criteria For An Outstanding Publication:
We are looking for the best of the best. The #1 best magazines in Fashion & Lifestyle, News and Current Events, Arts & Culture, Music, Adult Entertainment and Home & Garden.